> | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | > How to bring your pet with you in Abu Dhabi - What will happen to your pet once he lands?

How to bring your pet with you in Abu Dhabi - What will happen to your pet once he lands?

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 | 21 Comments

When I prepared my cat's trip to Abu Dhabi, one of my biggest concerns was where he would stay while I would be looking for an apartment. During my first weeks, I was going to stay at a hotel, and pets were not allowed. To make it worse, I was going to arrive in the U.A.E. one day later than Charlie!

Charlie landed late in the evening, which was actually a good thing because we arrived in June, and the temperatures are so hot during the day. Upon arrival, he got inspected by customs and then was released to be picked up. Families can normally pick up their own pets, but they usually don't: they might not be in the U.A.E. yet (I wasn't), they don't have a car, etc.
I arranged with the American Vet Pet relocation team to get a pick up at Abu Dhabi Airport. They could also pick up my cat at Dubai airport for an additional fee, if it was more convenient for me. It's good to know, in case plane tickets to Abu Dhabi are too complicated to get from your city!
Then, they took Charlie out of his kennel and put him in a larger, more comfortable cage. They fed him and watered him, and he had a litter box - after nearly 24 hours of travelling, he probably needed it! Poor thing...
The next morning, the Vet team inspected him to see if he was alright. I got an email telling me that he was doing good, besides a little bit of stress (obviously!).
A few weeks before arriving in Abu Dhabi, I had also reserved a spot for him at the American Vet's cattery. It is basically a pet hotel, and I can assure you that it is a really awesome service. The availability is limited, so make sure that you make your reservation early enough.
I believe they have 4 rooms where they have several huge cages. Here are pictures that I took there, just so you see what to expect :

IMG-20120604-00255
This is Charlie's cage, in the corner. You can see my little boy meowing for Mommy ;)

IMG-20120605-00264
This is the cage of Charlie's neighbors


Every cage is really tall, a human can stand inside. They have 3 ledges inside, so your cat can jump and play. They are equipped with a litter box, bowls for food and water. You can bring your own food when you arrive in Abu Dhabi (but can't export more than for one day with the kennel, otherwise the customs will get suspicious). If your cat doesn't have a specific diet, the Cattery team has premium dry and moist food in fish and chicken flavor. They will try all of them with your cat and see what s/he prefers.
In front of each cage is pinned a list of instruction for each cat, as well as a recap table where the cattery staff notes down any daily relevant observation : for example Charlie stayed 2-3 weeks and his weight was regularly monitored. He had an ear infection problem, so that was also part of the things they had to check. They also cut his claws when needed.
You can also place any personal items you want in the cage (toys, a piece of clothing with your smell on it, etc.)
The cattery team usually turns the radio on during the day so the cats have a presence. They have a Feliway diffuser plugged at all times.
You can visit your pet whenever you want (the cattery has pretty long opening hours) and the cats are checked several times a day by the staff who is really, really dedicated. They're pet owners themselves and they know what they are dealing with. Trust me, I visited Charlie nearly every day, and every time I went someone was dropping by to see how the cats were doing.
If you have more than one cat, they can be placed together in the same cage. Otherwise, your cat will be alone for safety reasons. A curtain separates each cage so your cat has some privacy.
It is also reassuring to know that since the cattery is located inside the Vet's offices, your cat will immediately be checked in case something is going on (you need to give your consent for that on the application form, if you agree)
In case you're willing to export your dog, The American Vet also has a kennel service. It's located outside the city center, since dogs take more space and are more noisy than cats.

Honestly, I've been really happy with the Cattery's services. Without them, I don't know how I would have made it. I've done a bunch of research and I don't know any hotel in Abu Dhabi that allows pets. If you know any, please do let me know by posting a comment at the bottom of this article.

Now some of you may be wondering what was the cost for all the process. Here's a rough breakdown :

  • The American Vet : import permit + pick up at the airport : 2500 AED ($680, 545€)
  • Air Animal : plane ticket for Miami - Abu dhabi (with one connection in Dusseldorf) : $1400 (1120 €)
  • The American Vet : cattery for 1 month : AED 1790 ($490, 390€). Since I checked out Charlie after 3 weeks, I got a refund for the week I didn't use.


Total cost : $2570 or 2055€. Phew... Yeah, that's a lot of money, and a lot of people who don't have a heart, such as my Father, will strongly disapprove of such an expense. Well yeah, I love my cat, sue me!! :-D
Overall, it took me around 2 months to get everything ready for Charlie's travel (considering I didn't have to get the Rabies Serum Neutralizing test, cf. my first article about pet relocation paperwork). The import permit and other documents aren't that long to get, but coordinating the whole thing and figuring it out takes a while. Obviously, the earlier you start planning, the easier it is! Good luck to you!

Comments:21

  1. How did you find housing for you and your cat? there seem to be few places that allow cats. Is it better to get an agent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fleur de Lis!
      I do recommend you use an agent to find an apartment. It is a little more pricey, but they usually have several properties to show you at once, so it saves you time (vs. having to book several appointments with each landlord). The only thing is that sometimes agents take a while to respond to your emails, especially if you aren't in the U.A.E. yet. I did find a very professional and available agent whose name is Nada, I can give you her contact information if you want.
      As for cats being allowed or not in apartments... Some people say that pets are becoming increasingly not allowed in properties. For me, it hasn't been an issue. It's one of the first questions that I asked my agent when we went to visit the apartments and she said the landlords didn't care. I don't know anyone around me who has had any problem.
      Besides, a cat is always easier than a dog, because you don't have to walk them and take them out of the apartment, so no one will really know that you have a furry family member ;)
      As it turned out, I learned 2 months after moving in my apartment (in Reem island) that my building has a no-pet policy. I've had plenty of maintenance people and security people come in my home, and it's never been a issue. I really don't think the no-pet policies are enforced, as long as your pet doesn't destroy anything... and cats usually don't damage much.
      I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask more questions!
      ~ Nina

      Delete
  2. Now you don't have to worry about your pet where to Accommodate it when you are in Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Ninoushka!
    i need to bring my 3 cats in Abu Dhabi and i want to do all the papers by myself (it's very expensive for 3 cats :) ). i want to ask you something... maybe you can help... i understood that you can import only 2 pets (one person) and that's why i need to bring one cat on a friend's visa, so i want to ask if you know that i can take all 3 off the airport or i can take only 2 and my friend must came to get the pet imported on his visa.
    thank you and sorry to bother :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every cage is really tall, a human can stand inside. They have 3 ledges inside, so your cat can jump and play. They are equipped with a litter box, bowls for food and water.it is a great blog.affordable houston user cars

    ReplyDelete
  5. To monetize your blog just type in google - Yoogurn's money making

    ReplyDelete

  6. Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when i was was tempted to try it. i and my husband have been having a lot of problem living together, he will always not make me happy because he have fallen in love with another lady outside our relationship, i tried my best to make sure that my husband leave this woman but the more i talk to him the more he makes me fell sad, so my marriage is now leading to divorce because he no longer gives me attention. so with all this pain and agony, i decided to contact this spell caster to see if things can work out between me and my husband again. this spell caster who was a woman told me that my husband is really under a great spell that he have been charm by some magic, so she told me that she was going to make all things normal back. she did the spell on my husband and after 5 days my husband changed completely he even apologize with the way he treated me that he was not him self, i really thank this woman her name is Dr Aluta she have bring back my husband back to me i want you all to contact her who are having any problem related to marriage issue and relationship problem she will solve it for you. her email is traditionalspellhospital@gmail.com she is a woman and she is great. wish you good time.
    He cast spells for different purposes like
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dream
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) HIV/AIDS CURE
    (10) is the only answer to that your problem of winning the lottery

    Contact him today on: traditionalspellhospital@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just loved to read your post.....

    http://ontimecabs.in/pune-to-lonavala-cabs-taxi-service

    http://ontimecabs.in/mumbai-to-lonavala-cabs-taxi-service

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy a fresh morning, Surrounded by pine, deodar, oak and rhododendron forests, this quaint hill station refreshes your mind and soul with its heritage structures, A Short trip to Kufri with a view of exotic bazaars and apple orchards of Shimla. Enjoy New Year Celebrations with Live D.J. followed by Gala dinner, overnight stay at hotel.
    New Year Packages 2017

    New Year Packages near Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for admin
    Dailymotion video downloader

    Try Dailymotion video
    downloader
    to download videos from dailymotion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Download Gesture Lock Screen to use the unique lock screen Download Gesture Lock Screen to use the unique lock screen Download Gesture Lock Screen to use the unique lock screen Download Gesture Lock Screen to use the unique lock screen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Information.
    Buy tumblr followers https://www.facebook.com/Buytumblrfollowerscheap/
    #love #rose #roos #pinktumblr #pink #tumblr #tumblrgirl #box #gift #gifts #rosetattoo #gül #güller #girlswithpiercings #inkedgirl #inked #cheekpiercings #makeuplover #nyxcosmetics #makeuplook #outfitoftheday #asseenonme #altgirl #altgirls #alternative #grunge #grungegirl #septum #kyliecosmetics #girlswithink

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I hope you post again soon.
    Quite an interesting article with really interesting and useful information.
    Pune To Lonavala Cab
    Pune to Mahabaleshwar cab
    Pune to Kolhapur cabPune to Nashik cab
    Mumbai to Shirdi cab

    ReplyDelete
  13. from where i can get c++ scripts ? any one can help me ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. here is the most popular website of c++ java scripts, vb and aspen+ etc can be providede. visit this and become proficient.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a really outstanding video. We also like that type of Pinoy Tambayan shows on our Pinoy channel and Pinoy TV. Beleive me all these Pinoy TV shows are the soul of all Ofw Pinoy TV lovers.gma network
    TFC's best Pinoy TV website for all Pinoy tambayan shows of Pinoy channel free online. It's all about free Pinoy TV shows.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.